Associate Director / Director, Biostatistics (Non-Clinical)Apply Job ID 2017-4920 Category Biostatistics / Data Management Job Location Redwood City, CA Posted Date 09/16/2017
Genomic Health is pioneering the application of genomics to clinical practice in order to dramatically improve the quality of treatment decisions for patients with cancer. The Associate Director/Director of Non-Clinical Biostatistics (NCB) leads a team that collaborates with Biomedical Data Computing, Bioinformatics, Platform Technologies, Process Engineering, Pathology, and Commercial Operations in order to develop and support a wide-ranging spectrum of products that advance Genomic Health as a leader in the world of oncogenomics and tumor molecular diagnostics. This position leads a small team of highly technical professionals.
You will be the leader of a team of biostatisticians responsible for contributing to development of new products and technologies in R&D, as well as supporting day-to-day operations in our Clinical Laboratory and other operational laboratory functions, including developing and enhancing Statistical Process Control technologies (SPC) for ongoing process monitoring and troubleshooting.
- You will manage and develop a group of talented scientific and technical staff, including but not limited to, goal setting, performance and compensation review, mentoring and development and staffing plans and hiring decision-making.
- Serves as advisor and mentor to biostatisticians and multi-disciplinary study teams on the strengths, opportunities and limitations of study designs with both innovative state-of-the-art and standard statistical methods, addressing a wide range of problems including, but not limited to, any of the following:
- Development of Next Generation Sequencing, qPCR, IHC or Digital Image based diagnostics
- Optimization, validation, migration, and automation of analytical methods and diagnostic tests
- Deriving specifications for reagent and instrument qualification
- Provide internal statistical review and technology assessment for potential business opportunities, as requested by Senior Management
- Collaborate with the Clinical Laboratory, Biomedical Data Computing, Quality, and IT to automate/industrialize the Clinical Lab operations into an efficient, clear and robust state
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Advanced degree in either Biostatistics, Statistics or Mathematics
- Normally requires Ph.D and 12+ years of experience, preferably with experience applying statistical methodology in a biotech, diagnostic or life sciences environment
- Solid grounding in statistical theory and familiarity with current developments in statistical methods
- Must have shown expertise with applying appropriate statistical methodologies in the following:
- Process development, analytical and methods validation, and troubleshooting
- Complex process optimization
- Statistical process control
- Specification setting
- Skilled at working with large data sets with expertise in large-scale inference, resampling methods, model development and assessment
- Experience with designing and developing biostatistically rigorous studies in support of troubleshooting efforts
- Prior management experience, with the ability to attract, lead, motivate and retain highly educated and talented statisticians and technicians/programmers in a coordinated effort towards a common goal
- Your first rate interpersonal and communication skills are essential with fellow team members, management and customers who have varied levels of technical or statistical background
- Excellent problem solving skills with an enthusiasm to both lead and contribute to solutions that support our internal customer base
- Demonstrated technical and people leadership skills and a history of success working in cross-functional teams
- Ability to seek, integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner
- Ability to prioritize and deliver results with a high emphasis on quality
- Proficient in SAS or S+/ R; knowledge of a scripting language and/or SQL desirable
- Familiarity or experience in environments regulated under FDA or ISO
- Familiarity/experience with Big Data and Machine Learning technologies and architectures
- Experience with data visualization and interpretation for audiences not well versed in statistics
Genomic Health is a global provider of genomic-based diagnostic tests that address the overtreatment of cancer, one of the greatest issues in healthcare today. Our goal is to improve the lives of people with cancer by providing personalized, biological information that helps them get the right treatment at the right time, and to avoid unnecessary treatments and their side effects. In this way, our work is truly life, changing.
- Our Oncotype IQ Genomic Intelligence Platform is a portfolio of diagnostic tests that help physicians and patients answer specific and critical treatment questions throughout the cancer journey
- We currently offer Oncotype tests addressing breast, colon, prostate and lung cancers and hundreds of thousands of patients from over 90 countries have benefited from our tests.
- The Oncotype DX breast cancer test is considered standard of care in the US and is included in all major international clinical guidelines for breast cancer treatment.
- We are expanding our portfolio of tests to include additional liquid- and tissue-based tests through clinical research and internal product development as well as strategic partnerships.
Join the Genomic Health Team, and have the unique opportunity to make a difference in the lives of patients with cancer, while developing your career potential. We embrace our unique culture characterized by our Core Values of Community, Truth Seeking, Being Ahead of the Curve and Winning to be the best in the world at what we do. We maintain competitive total rewards programs designed to satisfy our employees’ work life and personal life needs.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
If you want to be part of a team that prides itself in teamwork and developing cutting-edge technology at Genomic Health, apply today!